Many people love cork shoes due to their comfortable features. These shoes are mostly used in summer and keep your feet fresh for longer by removing moisture and bacteria. Unfortunately, they can get dirt very fast whether you are walking on the city streets or in the woods. But, a proper cleaning makes them durable and removes their bad smell. To keep your cork shoes fresh, this guide will help you with all the latest tips and tricks on how to clean cork shoes.
How to Clean Cork Shoes?
Cork shoes are made up of a cork and rubber combination. Their sole is also made with cork, which is hard to clean. After trying many methods, I have shared some tips. By using them you can clean your cork shoes and increase their durability.
Supplies Needed For Cleaning Cork Shoes
Here are common household items you will need to clean cork shoes. You can easily find them in your home.
- Soft Clean Cloth
- Soft Toothbrush
- ½ liter Warm Water
- Baking Soda
- Cork Sealant
- ½ Cup White Vinegar
Steps for Cleaning Cork Shoes
Method 1: Light Cleaning
You can apply this method on your cork shoes if they have little dirt or stains.
- You can use a soft toothbrush to simply clean your cork shoes. With this toothbrush, you can gently remove any dirt and debris on the surfaces of shoes.
- Dip a clean, soft cloth in lukewarm water and wring it out properly. Now apply this wet cloth on your shoe surfaces and gently clean it. This wet cloth helps you to remove any remaining dirt or stains.
- Now, keep your shoes in a well-ventilated area to dry them properly. Avoid sunlight and heat as they can get cracks on the cork.
Method 2: Deep Cleaning
By Using Baking Soda
Baking soda is a great natural deodorizer that removes stains and bad odors. So it is my first choice to clean my cork shoes. Here are some simple steps you can follow.
- Take a soft cloth and remove dirt from the surfaces and sole of the shoe.
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda in two tablespoons of water and make a paste.
- Apply this paste gently on the affected area with your figure or a toothbrush. If you use a brush, firstly dip it in the mixture and then rub it on the shoe.
- Gently rub the brush in circular motion. Avoid hard scrubbing; it will damage the cork shoe.
- Now dip a clean soft cloth in lukewarm water. Wring it properly, wipe this cloth on your shoes, and properly clean the dirt scrubbed mixture.
- Now, keep your shoe in an airy area for 15-20 minutes. Please don’t put it in extreme sunlight and heat. This will damage the corks.
- If you want to remove bad odor from your shoe, freeze this overnight. This will kill any left bacteria without using any harsh chemicals.
- Lastly, apply cork sealer on your shoe. The cork sealant protects your cork sandals/shoes from getting dirt, dust and odors.
By Using Vinegar
White vinegar is another solution to clean cork shoes. It is a safe and natural household cleaner for hard water stains. It has an acidic nature and helps in removing grease and tough mineral deposits. Here are some simple steps to clean your cork shoes with vinegar.
Note: In this method, water will be used. So try to use a dry clean cloth in each step.
- Take ½ liter warm water, ½ cup white vinegar and detergent. Mix them all and make a paste.
- Now remove dust from the surface and sole of your shoes with a dry soft cloth.
- Apply a clean cloth in the vinegar mixture on the shoes. Rub the mixture on the shoe in circulated form with the help of a fabric. Do this process gently with soft hands.
- Now, swipe out the mixture from a shoe with a clean, dry cloth.
- Place the shoe in an airy and shady place.
- If you feel your shoes are smelly, keep them in the freezer overnight. After that, use sealant that protects your shoes from water and makes them durable.
Cork shoes are a popular and versatile type of footwear that is ideal for casual wear. Their popular properties, comfort, lightweight, durability, and water resistance make them many people’s first choice. As their users use, a cork shoe also gets dirty fast and their cleaning is the most demanding task.
Follow the methods mentioned above, for how to clean cork shoes, and eliminate dirt and bad smells from them.