The Slide Strip is the main component of bowling shoes. It helps the bowlers move smoothly and maintain control of the bowling ball and slips. A slide strip is typically located at the bottom of the shoe and covers the entire sole or a large portion of the sole. It is generally made of felt or leather. However, it gets dirt, debris and oil very fast, and dirty shoes never give you optimal performance. In this article, you will learn how to clean bowling shoes slide strips with amazing slide strip cleaning hacks. So, let’s start.
Easy Steps How to Clean Bowling Shoes Slide Strip?
You need a few materials and a little time to clean your bowling shoes slide strip.
1- Gather Necessary Supplies
You will need some items to clean the bowling shoes slide strip such as;
- Bristle Brush/Tooth Brush/Wire Brush
- Soft Clean Cloth
- Warm Water
2- Remove the Laces and Insole
Before starting the cleaning process, remove the laces and insole of your shoes. By doing this, you can better access the slide strip area.
3- Remove Dirt and Debris from the Slide Strip
Start your shoe cleaning process with dirt and debris removal. For this, gently scrub the shoe with a wire brush or bristle soft brush on the surfaces of the bowling shoe’s slide strip.
- Brushing helps loosen the rigid dirt on the slide strip’s surfaces.
- Move the brush towards the slide, not against them typically, from heel to toe. This will maintain the strip while in the cleaning process.
- Pay more attention to the areas that get dirt quickly, such as edges and around stitching.
- While brushing, ensure not to apply too much pressure, as this can damage the shoe’s slide strip.
- Once the brushing process is complete, wipe the shoes with a soft, clean cloth. This will remove the remaining dirt and be ready to give you ideal performance.
4- Apply Cleaning Solution to Slide Strip
This is optional to apply a cleaning solution on your shoe slide strip.
Note: Select a cleaning solution according to your shoe material.
If your shoes are still dirty or need more cleaning, apply any cleaning solution specially made for bowling shoes.
- Take a small amount of solution and apply it to your slide strip area with the help of a soft sponge or cloth.
- Gently rub the solution onto the strip properly.
- Keep the shoes set aside for 15-20 minutes so that the solution properly breaks down the dirt.
- Now, once again, use a brush and scrub it on the slide strip gently until it gets dry.
5- Apply Soap Mixture on Shoes
Now, take a bowl with warm water and add detergent/ dish soap to it and make a mixture.
Dip a soft, clean cloth in the mixture so it soaks it properly.
Rub this mixture-dipped cloth on a slide strip and remove the cleaning solution.
6- Rinse and Dry Slide Strip Thoroughly
Finally, resin the shoes with warm water.
- After this, allow the slide strip to dry completely before your next wearing.
- Please keep them in a shaded, dry place until properly dry.
- Now, your shoes are ready for your bowling session.
Practical Tips and Tricks for Bowling Shoes Slide Strip Cleaning
Your Brush Motion Matters
Always select a fine-wired bristle brush designed for bowling shoe slide strip cleaning. You must use the meeting in the slide direction.
Proper motion brushing removes dirt and debris effectively. On the other side, incorrect brushing can damage the slide strip and affect the performance.
This improves the dirt and debris efficiently and does not damage the felt fibres. Always apply gentle pressure and increase it gradually.
Clean Slide Strip Regularly
Clean your shoe slide strip after every bowling session. This improves your performance and increases your shoe lifespan.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
Avoid applying any harsh chemicals. This will damage the felt and your performance. Only use a cleaning shoe solution specifically formulated for your shoe material.
Replace the Slide Strip
Overuse or any damage to the slide strip needs replacement. Damaged and worn slide strip soles affect your game. Replace it when you see wear and tear in it.
Store Shoes Properly
Store your shoes in a clean, dry place and avoid direct sunlight. It affects the feel and material of shoes.
A slide strip is vital in bowling games by providing improved and balanced slides. So, its maintenance is necessary for a bowler to achieve its target accurately. Apply our cleaning hacks as mentioned above with tips and tricks.
Leave a comment below and tell us your favorite bowling shoe cleaning tips.